Tanzania is known for its prime safari destinations, and unending safari experiences. While on a short visit to Arusha Tanzania, you might be wondering, which are the best destinations to visit while you stay in Arusha.
Despite being one of the best safari destinations in Africa, Tanzania is huge with some of its safari parks and reserves occupying huge massive tracks of land. This also poses a challenge to guests who would want a short safari visiting some of these premium parks.
Safari Ideas to visiting Tanzania.
To start with, let’s understand some of the most popular safari ideas guests have while in Tanzania…
- Wildebeest Migration Safaris:- It’s one of the most sort of ideas that guests would want to experience while on their short visit or stay in Arusha Tanzania. Wildebeest Migration is a Yearly event that happens in Serengeti National Park. The wildebeest migration happens in different parts of Serengeti at different times of the year. Learn more about wildebeest migration here.
- Ngorongoro Crater:- Visit the largest Caldera in the World, spanning a whopping 18km radius. It’s known to be the home of human evolution from the world renowned site known as the Olduvai Gorge.
- Karatu Coffee Farms:- There’s more to do within and around Arusha such as visiting the coffee farms, and experience how they are processed. Also, taste them with actual coffee drinks.
- Mt. Kilimanjaro:- Located in Moshi, it’s the highest mountain in Africa, and loved by hikers. Every guest who visits Tanzania always dreams to see and have a taste of the mountain.
- Cultural Visits:– Including the Maasai, and other Tanzania communities, most of them are still practicing their ancient traditional affairs. And most guests around Arusha would love to have a taste of a traditional well set up community.
Destinations to visit while in Arusha Tanzania
Your preferences of explorations from Tanzania will depend exactly on the time durations you have to maximize of touring these destinations. Safaris from Arusha can range from 2 hours drive to 8 hours drive from Arusha Town.
Below we have compiled some of the best destinations you can visit while on a short stay in Arusha:-
- Serengeti National Park:- a home to millions of wildebeest, antelopes, and zebras that cross from the Serengeti to Masai Mara in Kenya every year. This migration is witnessed when it’s at its peak from May to October every year. January and February, Wildebeest Calving season is experienced in Ndutu Region.Visiting Serengeti will require a minimum of 2 nights by road in a 4×4 land cruiser jeep, and to witness the wildebeest crossings in the north of Serengeti, you will require a minimum of 3 nights and fly there.
- Ngorongoro Crater & Olduvai Gorge:- Known to be the largest Caldera in the world, The Ngorongoro Crater is home to various endangered species such as the black rhinos, elephants, big cats, and many others. The spectacular phenomenon and beautiful formation of the caldera is what wows most people. It is under the UN world heritage sites.You can have 2 nights or even an overnight safari to the Ngorongoro Crater.
- Karatu Coffee Farms:- Farming experiences are therapeutic and so relaxing. Having a different thing to do away from the norm, relaxes your soul and gives you a different life perspective.Karatu is suitable for an overnight safari and farm tour visits. Enjoying coffee processes and drinks within the farms can be addictive, and adding more nights is recommended.
- Mt. Kilimanjaro:-If you have more than 10 nights free in Arusha, You can summit Mt. Kilimanjaro to the peak and back. But it’s recommended to people who are fit and conversant with high altitudes. It’s the highest mountain in Africa and attracts a lot of guests who would love to conquer it.For those who are on a short stay, you can have a one-day hike to the first level section of the trek and still go back to your residence in Arusha. This will have given you a taste of the mountains hike and still plan for a better visit to summit it. Most hikes to Mt. Kilimanjaro range from 7 Days to 9 Days of trekking.
- Tarangire N. Park:- The land of the Jumbos in Tanzania. Apart from the Amboseli N. Park in Kenya, Tarangire N. Park in Tanzania is well known for its incredible elephant sightings and beautiful sceneries.A tour to Tarangire N. Park can be combined with a tour to Lake Manyara, Lake Eyasi, Karafu Farm tours, Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti N. Park. With a minimum of one night, you can visit this incredible park, and still combine the others and enjoy a 7 days, or even 12 days Safari from Arusha.
- Lake Manyara N. Park:- a Flamingo haven, located next to or before the Ngorongoro Crater. It’s visited yearly due to its large numbers of the lesser and greater flamingos that come to find food and breed. Its also home to the climbing lions of Lake Manyara.A tour to Lake Manyara N. Park can be combined with a tour to Tarangire N. Park, Lake Eyasi, Karafu Farm tours, Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti N. Park. With a minimum of one night, you can visit this incredible park, and still combine the others and enjoy a 7 days, or even 12 days Safari from Arusha.
- Lake Eyasi:- Adjacent to lake Manyara, Lake Eyasi is home to some of the indigenous communities known as the Hadzabe Communities or tribe.A tour to Lake Eyasi can be combined with a tour to Lake Manyara, Tarangire N. Park, Karafu Farm tours, Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti N. Park. With a minimum of one night, you can visit this incredible park, and still combine the others and enjoy a 7 days, or even 12 days Safari from Arusha.
- Ndutu Conservation Area:- It’s home to millions of wildebeest that always visit between the month of Dec to March every year for calving and giving birth to young calves.A tour to Ndutu Region will need a minimum of 3 nights at least to give you maximum chances to sight these incredible happenings of the wildebeests.
- Mt. Meru:- A few minutes drive from the Arusha Town, can be hiked and summited within 2 days. It’s the most loved hiking Mountain in Arusha after Mt. Kilimanjaro.Check out more trekking ideas in Arusha here
- Arusha City:-Arusha city itself is rich in history and areas one can visit. You can engage in a night experience in one of the many entertainment joints within the city. Visit some historical sights and learn more about Tanzania’s background history.
These destinations depend on different factors such as time, budget, and preferences that you have. But Most Tour companies are ready to help you customize interesting and wonderful safari experiences among those destinations mentioned above.
There are many other destinations one can take, especially to the southern part of Tanzania, such as Selous N. Reserve, Katavi N. Park, Ruaha N. Park, Mikumi N. Park, and many others.